The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Posted on January 6, 2016

Have you ever wondered if your home is safe from carbon monoxide (CO)? CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless. The gas is created anytime a fuel is burned in; vehicles, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, stoves, gas ranges or furnaces. California’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010 requires CO detectors in all residential properties that have a “fossil fuel” burning heater or appliance, or an attached garage. This became mandatory as of January 1, 2013. Call the General and we will send one of our experts out to make sure your home is up to compliance during your regularly scheduled maintenance visit.

It is vital to have your heating components and appliances properly maintained on a regular basis. Many problems can be detected and prevented during a maintenance service. It is typical to mount CO detectors outside of every sleeping area in your home. International limits for unsafe CO levels, including; OSHA and the World Health Organization’s guidelines, are between 15-35 parts per million(ppm). Most U.L. listed CO alarms available in retail stores will not trigger until you and your family have been exposed to 70ppm, for over 3 ½ hours! The General offers high-grade CO detectors that are able to alert occupants at 10 ppm, sounding faster, for better protection.

Health and safety leaders recommend having your chimneys and fireplaces checked annually for cleanliness and proper ventilation. Obstructions can potentially cause a deadly buildup of CO gas. It goes without saying that you should never light a charcoal grill indoors or use unvented combustion heaters overnight, and never run your vehicle’s engine inside a closed off garage. By taking the proper steps for prevention, your home can be CO free. Contact General Air Conditioning & Plumbing today to have your indoor environment tested and to install quality CO detectors, for maximum in-home safety.

Privacy and Cookie Policy